Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Final Fantasy X: Jecht's Sword

I was commissioned to do Jecht's sword from Final Fantasy X. I love many of the Final Fantasy games, so this was pretty fun... and like most FF weapons, I have no idea how these characters are able to wield these huge weapons... Like this one is essentially a huge paddle... Regardless, still fun to make.




Draft and the foam block that I'll use to carve from

With much carving, glueing, cutting and more gluing, the block became this

I always have a internal structure inside my weapons so that they can take some beating. I usually do this by cutting the while weapon in half and installing it. A big worry that I had with this large sword was structural integrity. The holes at the bottom made it pretty weak and as the part that was probably going to hit the ground most, I used steal frame to keep it all together.

More braces for those troublesome holes

2 halves glued together and beveled.



I attached the rings by weaving some thermo-pastic around the ring and through a slit in the foam.... not the most stable, but after the resin coat, it stayed put.

Everything put together, with the design.

Usually, I like to hand paint my weapons with acrylic, but something this size, needed spray paint.

TADA

No comments:

Post a Comment