Wednesday, February 5, 2014

FF VIII: Squall's Gunblade

Hi guys,
So this is going to be a big upload because this project was a long one. I was commissioned by a friend to do Squall's Gunblade from FF VIII. First of all, big swords are awesome and I was super excited to start this project, not only for the big sword, but also to try my hand at weapon making. I've seen some really awesome weapons and costumes around so here is how I did it. I definitely learned a lot and can't wait for another project.


Sketches and the birth of the handle.
Tests for the chamber of the revolver. I needed to know the size and width so I could fit it in the handle


Let me just say the clamps are the best thing ever invented

hand grinding part 1

hand grinding part2

So this is "Great Stuff"... its a hole filler from Home Depot and I had read a lot of people use it for weapons

I wanted to make a rod running down the whole blade into the handle so I added some wire mesh to prevent the foam blade from spinning around.

FOAM!

I cheated a but and used a sander.

One would think drilling holes straight through would be easy, boy was I wrong.

Super sexy barrel

So I also read that people filled the gaps from the holes with paper mache....

Hmmm....

Ok, so a jump forward in time. I was very unsatisfied with how the blade was looking with the "Great Stuff" and paper mache. I was looking for a really nice flat surface, but holes kept popping up and overall, just not very smooth. So this is a different kind of foam (more dense and comes in sheets, not spray). So whats going on here is that I cut the foam in half long wise, sanded out a place for the metal rod and wire frame and weld it together again.
Again, clamps are the best things ever made.... I wanted to make sure that this thing would be sealed shut.

YEEESSSSSSSSS. Much better.


The engraving was difficult to find some reference too, but I think I got pretty close

My right hand man companion....

All sanded and primed handle. I'm really proud of this.

Bent aluminum. I'm also proud of this because I got to turn on a blow torch. hehehe



Finished handle. All shiny and and purdy.

FINALLY FINISHED!

Close up of handle

And this is me with a big sword!

2 comments:

  1. I am a big fan of the Final Fantasy series so your Cousin Sharon showed me your project. I am extremely impressed with your level of detail. You should hit up etsy, if you haven't already, and start commissioning some work. Thank you for sharing your project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWW YEAH LEON GUN BLADE. FRIKIN AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete